Lifestyle tips that can help you live to a healthy 100 years or more.
Centenarians, people who live past 100 years old, are studied for their healthy longevity habits. There are 5 main geographic areas in the world, called “Blue Zones” that hold the highest concentration of centenarians. These areas are:
- Ikaria, Greece
- Loma Linda, California
- Nicoya, Costa Rica
- Okinawa, Japan
- Sardinia, Italy
Residents of these areas seem to have less heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and Alzheimer’s. The good news is you do not have to live in one of these areas to enjoy the benefits of their longer healthier lives. You can just adapt many of their studied lifestyle factors.
6 Secrets to a Longer Healthier Life:
- Daily physical activity – walking, dancing, gardening. Exercise at least 4 times a week for more than 30 minutes
- Brain activity – engage in work you love, learning new subjects, word or number puzzles. About 2-4 times a week.
- Successful stress management – prayer, meditation, naps, etc.
- Semi-Vegetarianism – mostly a plant based diet, especially legumes, little alcohol, little smoking, and less overeating (stop eating before feeling full).
- Family first – close social network that reduces loneliness.
- Belonging to a faith or healthy like-minded tribe – surround yourself with joy and have a sense of belonging to something greater than oneself.
Curious to see how long you might live? Check out this Life Expectancy Calculator by Dr. Thomas Perls.
“Vendiagram“. Licensed under Public Domain via Wikipedia.
Featured Image Source